Skip to main content

Shaolin and the Individual Spirit

This past weekend my wife Marisol took me to the USA Shaolin Temple near Canal Street in NYC.  Her karate teacher from her Venezuelan childhood had recently recommended that she go there to study, saying that the head of that temple, Shifu Shin Yan Ming, was “The Real Deal.”  Coming from Marisol’s “Shihan” (which means “master”) this was high praise, as he himself is “The Real Deal” too.

I entered the temple to find that there was a class test being administered by Shin Yan Ming.
 As we took places in the back of the room, trying to be as inauspicious as we could, he was sharing some words with his students that really resonated with me, and moved me to write this piece. 

He began with the words “Conflict is the key to life.”  He went on to tell his students “This is your time.  Express yourself. Be free.”

As I stood in the back of the room, these words penetrated my soul.  I thought about the rather short period of time that we all have on earth as I considered Shifu’s words “This is your time.”  The message of being free and expressing myself, which I took to mean “be authentic and true to myself,” was powerful as I considered the powerful forces that we all face that encourage conformity and cause us to lose our individual spirit and with it our unique purpose and style.  And, this of course is a part of the conflict that he must have been referring to.  How incredibly difficult it is for one to be free in a world that constantly challenges that freedom!

I left the temple meditating on the words “This is your time.”  I began to come to grips with my own life and the challenges that I face, and those that I witness daily in the world and that can easily bring our spirits down, and I realized that, in spite of those, this is really my time and its up to me to make of it what I may.  I left rededicated to myself, to the life that I’ve been given, and to expressing myself during that life with great personal freedom.  I suppose there is a price one must inevitably pay for not conforming, but to me that price seems to be relatively small when compared to the price of losing one’s individual spirit.

Popular posts from this blog

Greed & Laziness

In this most contentious and fascinating of election cycles, when nearly each conversation leads to politics, and when polarization runs so high, I ask myself - what is the essence of the debate between left and right?  What does it really mean to be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Why Rates Must Remain Low

There is an old bond trader joke that I first heard in the 1980’s when I traded mortgage-backed securities at Drexel Burnham Lambert.  It went like this:  “Upon dying, Albert Einstein finds himself in what he is told is heaven.  He encounters another individual there and asks him what his IQ is.  When he is told that it is 175 he is overjoyed, knowing that he’s found an intellectual peer with whom he can share much.  Upon meeting another, he discovers that person’s IQ is 140 and is pleased to have met another highly intelligent person with whom he can enjoy chess and other pursuits.  He is feeling pretty good about heaven, when he comes across a person who tells him that his IQ is a mere 90, and he is flummoxed.  What, he wonders, is this guy doing in my heaven and what can I even say to this person?  Then it comes to him.  ‘Where,’ he asks, ‘do you think interest rates are heading?’”

CMBS In Flux

The CMBS market has been in a period of upheaval, with dramatic spread widening on bonds and a resulting much more expensive cost of capital for real estate borrowers who depend upon this channel for their debt financing.Market participants today wonder whether we’ve entered a period like the summer of 2011, when spreads on bonds last widened this dramatically and then snapped back within a year to provide tremendous returns for those who were courageous enough to purchase bonds at the time when there was panic selling.Or, people wonder, is this recent downturn a prelude to a structural or systemic problem, like what was experienced in 2007, when spreads widened and sucked investors in, only to punish those early responders with a much more dramatic price collapse in the next 24 months.