Skip to main content

Ho Hum: Another Chemical Spill in West Virginia

In January, 10,000 gallons of a chemical called Crude MCHM leaked from the bottom of a pre- World War II Eastman Chemical storage tank located on the bank of the Elk River, contaminating a water treatment plant in Charleston.


I am no scientist, and in fact stopped at 10th grade biology given my lack of acumen.  Until recently, I would have passed by this article as though it was written in a foreign language.  For some reason my senses had been completely dulled to anything environmental.  Somehow the shrill hysterics and seemingly exaggerated efforts of the environmentalists have been sufficiently off-putting to drive me to that state.  I guess I just had become complacent, figuring that these problems would somehow just work out.  That has all has changed for me since being exposed to the writings of Wendell Berry, who has taught me through his works that a society that mistreats nature will ultimately find ruin.  So, when I came across the news last week that there are continuing health concerns in West Virginia related to that January spill, the news captured my attention.

Questions came to my mind.  What is this chemical used for?  Apparently it is used to clean coal so that it can be used optimally.  The fact that it is also used in air fresheners seemed highly ironic to me.  Why, I wondered, was the storage tank sitting on the bank of a river?  And why hadn’t the company been forced to replace the aged storage tank with a more modern facility?

I’m no environmental expert, but these sorts of events cannot just pass without regular people like you and me becoming alarmed and insisting upon changes.  If we just continue to turn away, figuring “it’s only West Virginia and it has no impact upon us,” we will all pay a massive price.  I’m new to this perspective, but it feels right.  I’m not really sure what I’m going to do differently, but I know that I’m more aware now and that will definitely lead to some actions and modified behaviors.

I know that I promised to go with one blog per week, but this week I'm publishing a second one on you. Have a great weekend.

Ethan.

Popular posts from this blog

Greed & Laziness

In this most contentious and fascinating of election cycles, when nearly each conversation leads to politics, and when polarization runs so high, I ask myself - what is the essence of the debate between left and right?  What does it really mean to be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Why Rates Must Remain Low

There is an old bond trader joke that I first heard in the 1980’s when I traded mortgage-backed securities at Drexel Burnham Lambert.  It went like this:  “Upon dying, Albert Einstein finds himself in what he is told is heaven.  He encounters another individual there and asks him what his IQ is.  When he is told that it is 175 he is overjoyed, knowing that he’s found an intellectual peer with whom he can share much.  Upon meeting another, he discovers that person’s IQ is 140 and is pleased to have met another highly intelligent person with whom he can enjoy chess and other pursuits.  He is feeling pretty good about heaven, when he comes across a person who tells him that his IQ is a mere 90, and he is flummoxed.  What, he wonders, is this guy doing in my heaven and what can I even say to this person?  Then it comes to him.  ‘Where,’ he asks, ‘do you think interest rates are heading?’”

CMBS In Flux

The CMBS market has been in a period of upheaval, with dramatic spread widening on bonds and a resulting much more expensive cost of capital for real estate borrowers who depend upon this channel for their debt financing.Market participants today wonder whether we’ve entered a period like the summer of 2011, when spreads on bonds last widened this dramatically and then snapped back within a year to provide tremendous returns for those who were courageous enough to purchase bonds at the time when there was panic selling.Or, people wonder, is this recent downturn a prelude to a structural or systemic problem, like what was experienced in 2007, when spreads widened and sucked investors in, only to punish those early responders with a much more dramatic price collapse in the next 24 months.