Skip to main content

Let Google Do It

As I drove my daughter this weekend to her swim meet in Santa Clarita, California, I came to appreciate Google as never before.  I had never been to that town before and in the old days would have had to have directions written down on a piece of paper so I could follow them to the destination.  If, as occurred this weekend, 3 of the four lanes on Highway 5 were inexplicably closed on both Saturday and Sunday mornings I would have sat in traffic for a long time and would have been late.  Now, thanks to Google Maps, I was forewarned of the traffic delay and given an alternate route that delayed me no more than 5 minutes from the original path.  I found myself pondering Google’s greatness for much of the weekend. 
Then, Monday morning I read the WSJ, and was overwhelmed with the pervasive ineptitude in the non-Google world.  The thought that kept repeating itself as I read on was: “Let Google do it.”

Our State Department will not get its deal done with Iran before the deadline. Turn the negotiations over to Google who can surely figure out how to set proper metrics with timelines and verification processes.  Samsung is contemplating leadership changes amidst a massive decline in earnings.  Ask Google what’s wrong with their business model and their products.  I’m sure that Google would make everything of theirs run better.  Voice recognition system failures are the number one complaint of car owners and are leading to driving risks.  Mandate that the car companies all delegate their technology deliverables to Google.  Why trust car manufacturers with tech?   The Postal Service is going broke with a 19th century business model.  Turn the damn thing over to Google and let them figure out how to handle mail.  Fedex will be the first loser then, I’m sure.

I could go on but you get the point.  Google has achieved a level of excellence that we should all envy and strive to emulate.  It’s crazy to say this about a company with its lofty market valuation, but at their current multiple of earnings their stock may be very cheap.  On this Thanksgiving weekend when we are to give thanks for things, of course I join in with the chorus to wholeheartedly give thanks for my terrific family, our health, our good fortune to reside in a still mostly free nation, and all of the bounty we have been blessed with.  Yet, I also wish to give thanks to Google for showing us that even in a very complex, competitive and regulated world excellence, and on a very large scale, can still be achieved.

Happy Thanksgiving!


Popular posts from this blog

Greed & Laziness

In this most contentious and fascinating of election cycles, when nearly each conversation leads to politics, and when polarization runs so high, I ask myself - what is the essence of the debate between left and right?  What does it really mean to be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Why Rates Must Remain Low

There is an old bond trader joke that I first heard in the 1980’s when I traded mortgage-backed securities at Drexel Burnham Lambert.  It went like this:  “Upon dying, Albert Einstein finds himself in what he is told is heaven.  He encounters another individual there and asks him what his IQ is.  When he is told that it is 175 he is overjoyed, knowing that he’s found an intellectual peer with whom he can share much.  Upon meeting another, he discovers that person’s IQ is 140 and is pleased to have met another highly intelligent person with whom he can enjoy chess and other pursuits.  He is feeling pretty good about heaven, when he comes across a person who tells him that his IQ is a mere 90, and he is flummoxed.  What, he wonders, is this guy doing in my heaven and what can I even say to this person?  Then it comes to him.  ‘Where,’ he asks, ‘do you think interest rates are heading?’”