Skip to main content

Words

Words get coopted and their meanings distorted.  I’ve always been vexed by the words “liberal” and “conservative.”  It has always seemed to me that “liberal” had its roots in “freedom” and “conservative” had its roots in the “conserve” or “save.”  Of course, we all know that both of these words have now taken on mostly political overtones.  “Liberal,” according to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary now means, among other definitions, “believing that government should be active in supporting social and political change.”  It’s amazing to me how that definition came to be, as it seems so far from the word’s root.  This dictionary also lists a few other definitions, including: “not opposed to new ideas or ways of behaving that are not traditional or widely accepted,” as well as; “of or befitting a man of free birth,” which it labels as being archaic, and; “lacking moral restraint,” which it labels as being obsolete.  When I think about the political world, I’m not so sure about this definition’s obsolescence.  

The dictionary defines “conservative” as “believing in the value of established and traditional practices in politics and society.”  It goes on to define a person who is “conservative” as “one who adheres to traditional methods or views” or; “a cautious or discreet person.”

I wonder – Can one be liberal and conservative?  I think I may be.  I definitely am not opposed to new ideas or ways of being or behaving that are not necessarily traditional or widely accepted.  I also feel like I want to always act in a manner befitting a man of free birth.  At the same time, I am also a believer in traditional values, and admire those who act discreetly and maintain a level of caution.

I do know this:  today’s Democratic Party ideas including big government and redistributionist policies are not liberal in the sense that they are not new ideas, nor are they ones befitting men and women of free birth.  I’m not exactly sure what the Republican Party’s ideas really are, so I can’t exactly critique those, but many of its leaders also seem committed to big government.


Maybe someone ought to launch a new party called the Liberal Conservative Party.  I’d join that one.  

Popular posts from this blog

Greed & Laziness

In this most contentious and fascinating of election cycles, when nearly each conversation leads to politics, and when polarization runs so high, I ask myself - what is the essence of the debate between left and right?  What does it really mean to be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Why Rates Must Remain Low

There is an old bond trader joke that I first heard in the 1980’s when I traded mortgage-backed securities at Drexel Burnham Lambert.  It went like this:  “Upon dying, Albert Einstein finds himself in what he is told is heaven.  He encounters another individual there and asks him what his IQ is.  When he is told that it is 175 he is overjoyed, knowing that he’s found an intellectual peer with whom he can share much.  Upon meeting another, he discovers that person’s IQ is 140 and is pleased to have met another highly intelligent person with whom he can enjoy chess and other pursuits.  He is feeling pretty good about heaven, when he comes across a person who tells him that his IQ is a mere 90, and he is flummoxed.  What, he wonders, is this guy doing in my heaven and what can I even say to this person?  Then it comes to him.  ‘Where,’ he asks, ‘do you think interest rates are heading?’”

CMBS In Flux

The CMBS market has been in a period of upheaval, with dramatic spread widening on bonds and a resulting much more expensive cost of capital for real estate borrowers who depend upon this channel for their debt financing.Market participants today wonder whether we’ve entered a period like the summer of 2011, when spreads on bonds last widened this dramatically and then snapped back within a year to provide tremendous returns for those who were courageous enough to purchase bonds at the time when there was panic selling.Or, people wonder, is this recent downturn a prelude to a structural or systemic problem, like what was experienced in 2007, when spreads widened and sucked investors in, only to punish those early responders with a much more dramatic price collapse in the next 24 months.