Skip to main content

Reflections of Memory Lane

Last week I had a couple of separate walks down that proverbial “Memory Lane.”  We just moved into our new home and sorting through lots of stuff I came across a copy of a great memento from my past.  It was a compilation video that we had put together at Nomura/CCA in the latter years to show to new hires who had not been there in the formative years in order to give them a sense of our corporate culture.  I decided it would be fun to watch this with my son Daniel, who was only a very young boy at that time and couldn’t have fully understood what was going on.  We sat and watched the 20ish minute video and, while it was great fun to remember those moments and to share them Daniel, I couldn’t help but feel as though I was watching someone other than me, or some ancient barely recognizable version from a past lifetime.


A few days later I was up in the Bay Area and took Daniel, who’s living there, for a tour of some of the spots where I had lived with his mom when we were very young.  We drove by our first apartment where his mom and I lived while engaged when I was a young man of 23, the surrounding neighborhood, the hospital where his mom studied medicine and where he was born.  I let my mind drift back to the person I was then, and my dreams and fears.  It was an amazing exercise.  I reflected on ho my life has turned out so entirely different than I could have ever imagined back then, and again felt like that young man was a different person than me, similar in many ways but so very different.  I also felt as though that time was like a different lifetime.

These two experiences, coming so close to one another, both left me to ponder about life’s trajectory – how strange the journey is and how wonderfully unpredictable things are.  It reminds me of the  saying that “man plans and God laughs.”

Popular posts from this blog

Greed & Laziness

In this most contentious and fascinating of election cycles, when nearly each conversation leads to politics, and when polarization runs so high, I ask myself - what is the essence of the debate between left and right?  What does it really mean to be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Why Rates Must Remain Low

There is an old bond trader joke that I first heard in the 1980’s when I traded mortgage-backed securities at Drexel Burnham Lambert.  It went like this:  “Upon dying, Albert Einstein finds himself in what he is told is heaven.  He encounters another individual there and asks him what his IQ is.  When he is told that it is 175 he is overjoyed, knowing that he’s found an intellectual peer with whom he can share much.  Upon meeting another, he discovers that person’s IQ is 140 and is pleased to have met another highly intelligent person with whom he can enjoy chess and other pursuits.  He is feeling pretty good about heaven, when he comes across a person who tells him that his IQ is a mere 90, and he is flummoxed.  What, he wonders, is this guy doing in my heaven and what can I even say to this person?  Then it comes to him.  ‘Where,’ he asks, ‘do you think interest rates are heading?’”