Skip to main content

The Power of Smiles

If you have read my past blogs you have found a consistent trend of me searching for ideas of improving things. Implicit in that is a drumbeat of criticism about how things are today, and if you didn't know me well you might believe that I'm the ultimate pessimist or cynic.  This is far from the truth, yet it is correct that I see in the world many things that can be improved upon, and too often this manifests itself in critical thinking and blogging.  In weeks past, as I have sat to write, I found myself searching for something positive to write about, something sunny and optimistic rather than critical or gloomy.  Last week I found that something positive.



I was inspired to this as I sat in my favorite restaurant called Pedalers Fork in Calabasas.  It was Monday morning and I was in kind of a blue mood when I was greeted by the most beautiful and warm smile of a woman named Ashley who works there.  I immediately felt a surge of positive energy within me; completely eradicating whatever negativity I was holding.  My gloomy Monday became sunny all at once, and I understood that, while the world is indeed filled with challenges, we all have this incredible power to transform each others days and lives, and in the most simple way.

Thank you very much, Ashley.

Popular posts from this blog

Greed & Laziness

In this most contentious and fascinating of election cycles, when nearly each conversation leads to politics, and when polarization runs so high, I ask myself - what is the essence of the debate between left and right?  What does it really mean to be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Why Rates Must Remain Low

There is an old bond trader joke that I first heard in the 1980’s when I traded mortgage-backed securities at Drexel Burnham Lambert.  It went like this:  “Upon dying, Albert Einstein finds himself in what he is told is heaven.  He encounters another individual there and asks him what his IQ is.  When he is told that it is 175 he is overjoyed, knowing that he’s found an intellectual peer with whom he can share much.  Upon meeting another, he discovers that person’s IQ is 140 and is pleased to have met another highly intelligent person with whom he can enjoy chess and other pursuits.  He is feeling pretty good about heaven, when he comes across a person who tells him that his IQ is a mere 90, and he is flummoxed.  What, he wonders, is this guy doing in my heaven and what can I even say to this person?  Then it comes to him.  ‘Where,’ he asks, ‘do you think interest rates are heading?’”